#03 Derwin James
DRAFT CLASS: SO/2018
POSITION: Strong Safety (SS)
SCHOOL: Florida State
40 Time: 0.00
- He possesses the ideal size looked for from the position transitioning to the next level
- He plays the game with a physical, attacking style when pursuing the ball…with good outward enthusiasm and passion for the game
- He is limited as an in the box SS…since he lacks cover skills for the next level
- Where are the impact & game changing plays he was touted for through the course of games?
- After diagnosing plays…too often he takes too long to get to his strike point
- Not effective shedding blockers quickly enough on path to ball
- Needs to improve in pursuit angles…the pursuit angles he took at the collegiate level won’t be effective taking in his speed translating to the next level
- Struggles in quick change of direction when pursuing the ball
- Where is his short area closing speed when pursuing ball carriers?
- He was tabbed as a thumping tackler…but too often after initial contact ball carriers gain positive yardage
- He displays poor tackling skills…rarely squaring up on ball carriers stopping their momentum and driving them backwards
- He is below average when grading him on open field tackling
- Transitioning to the NFL level he will possess limited solo & TFLs upside & skill
- He will be a MAJOR liability defending the pass at the next level
WHAT THEY SAY
1st Round (Top 15)
WHAT I SAY
Off My Board
- After evaluating James he just doesn’t live up to the hype! He is a one-dimensional player as ONLY an in the box SS. In which he grades out poorly at! And also considerably drops his draft value in my eyes
- When a NFL team draft’s James…as long as their expectations are within reason…they will find out at best he is a lower level starter who team’s will consistently look to replace.
- He is off my board do to a way too high inflated draft projection. If he is selected anywhere near his projection…this will turn out to be horrible value for some NFL team!!!!!!!!!
Profile by: (Ken Becks) @1stDown_Scout