#17 Jerome Baker
DRAFT CLASS: JR/2018
POSITION: Strong Safety (SS)
SCHOOL: Ohio State
40 Time: 4.53
- During his collegiate career he played the LB position…but for his best long term success at the next level his skills dictate the move to the SS position
- He possesses all the athletic traits looked for from scouts & NFL teams at the position
- Displays quick reactionary skill reacting to ball and locating
- He displays quick & active feet…along with short area closing speed on the ball
- He displays good natural instincts defending the pass…possessing the athletic skill needed to potentially be an exceptional pass defender projected at SS
- Can he have a successful transition to new position of SS?
- Lacks the snap to whistle effort desired on an every down basis…he needs to become more full go throughout plays…seems a bit lackadaisical
- Needs to become more aggressive making path to the ball…questionable passion for the game?????
- Not the most effective making his way through traffic…or shedding blocks on path to ball
- Like to see take on blockers quicker & more aggressively at POA…along with initiating contact more frequently with blockers & ball carriers
- On initial contact like to see more consistent momentum stopping impact…too often a one shoulder tackler…prefer to see square up and take on ball carriers head-up!
- Where are more impactful solo tackles and plays his skill & athleticism dictates?
WHAT THEY SAY
2nd Round – 3rd Round
WHAT I SAY
3rd Round (Mid) – 4th Round
- Baker possesses all of the athletic traits looked for from his new position of SS…the problem is he lacks the motor & intensity throughout plays needed to be considered a higher rated prospect moving forward.
- Unfortunately at this stage of Baker’s football career he is more athlete than football player…if some NFL team has the foresight to move him to the SS position…and can get him to play from snap to whistle…they can have a potential Pro Bowl type performer.
Profile by: (Ken Becks) @1stDown_Scout